Goals



My gold,
is to be,
as the waves,
to give, and give, and give,
until I glisten,
to let go
of convention and conviction,
to be moved,
by the wind.

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Journal Entry: The pursuit of happiness

Happiness, should it be the goal of life?  I know some Buddhist will disagree with me but really,  I don't think so.  I feel it's an emotion like any other emotion, no better, no worse.  Emotions are preceded by thought and the interpretations of these thoughts usually make an emotion good or bad.

I know some of you are probably thinking "Well of course happiness is the purpose of life why else are we here dickhead!", but I think all emotions should be experienced equally for exactly what they are, a beautiful experience, a gift for the human being.  I believe the purpose of our lives is not happiness but experience and conscious experience at that, some would even call it being.  To know that you know but to not try to control just be the moment in its most complete form.  I hate to be too fight club here but I think often times we try to steer our lives into "happiness" too much and not let the universe take control, let it take the wheel.  This often results in the opposite effect and in turn gives us more pain and suffering.

Now why would I say sorrow and suffering are just as good as happiness?  If anyone has every been through suffering, I mean some real stuff that you can't get away from, there's no where to escape to, then one would know that there's often God there.  What I mean is if anyone has ever said yes to pain and instead of trying to run from it, deal with it head on, make love to it, don't let it let you go, if you don't go crazy first then you will find that is quite beautiful and has so many points and crevice.  Taste the pain, it's salty like sea water, dark, encompassing, it makes your body hot, it burns through you like acid, it takes over and sits inside your soul to the point where you have to talk through it.  You are not really there yet it burns away self doubt, it's so real that it touches you to your core and everything you do has a certain reverence to it, a depth.  The problem is not pain or sorrow but the rejection of pain and sorrow.  In our society we are taught that we are meant to be happy and at all cost that is your goal.  Then we go about our conventional ways of receiving this, but that's neither here nor there, the point is that pain and suffering  and discomfort are seen as something to quickly get rid of, to trudge through, to discard as soon as possible.  I say yes and no to this.  Yes I would rather feel happy but at the same time these other emotions are definitely valid and equally as beautiful.  Often times we have to experience these in order to get to the "happiness" parts of our lives and what do we do till then just close our eyes and clinch our teeth? No, of course not, every moment is yours.  Instead I propose we enjoy it, yep you heard me, enjoy it. Settle in, take some deep breathes and just enjoy the ride, sit in it feel it, and when its done say thank you for the experience.  And the funny part is when you see it for what it is and stop running from it it's actually quite interesting, you're now beginning to live the full spectrum of life.

Now I know some are saying "but it's scientifically proven that your brain is no good on suffering."  Umm I haven't done the research but if I had to guess the stress is caused from the thought of suffering, not the suffering itself that's probably causing most of the damage.  Stress is the saying no of the emotion or event causing the emotion and I believe that's where the brain harm comes in.  As I said before the second you say yes to an emotion it becomes a whole different animal, cortisol levels lower and it becomes more of a full body experience rather than a mind evaluation of "this isn't what I want to happen." Now our society puts in these social conditioning of good and bad and goals and expectations, I understand this and I'm not asking you to become a Buddhist monk (unless you really want to and in that guess lemme know so I can come visit) just be more mindful of the situation and your live will be much richer. Stop thinking of how things are suppose to be and just let them be.



But what about physical pain and pleasure? There's got to be a reason why we take our hand off of a hot stove but coo when our lover touches us in the right spot.  Well I think they both have their place but again I think it's the mind association with sensation which maybe gets us in trouble.  For example if someone slaps us in the face sure it hurts but what really hurts the most is the feeling of being disrespected and embarrassed, am I right? The physical pain quickly passes but its the mental lingering that gets us in trouble.  Look at children or dogs when something happens they cry about it or express displeasure but before the tears are even dried or you can put down that news paper they're on to the activity; we can learn from them; express yourself, and then let it go. Physical pain has to happen either for us to learn from it or just for the simple fact that we have bodies.  Pleasure feels good and for the most part is good for you but even too much of this is harmful.  It can often create addiction, and addiction creates later on pain and dependency on a certain thing.  When this pleasure is taken away then we can often find ourselves frustrated and longing for the pleasure we once had.  Again, not good or bad just an experience to be understood.  Does anyone else feel me on this or am I just like the shape of my head, a nut?!


No comments:

Post a Comment