Goals



My gold,
is to be,
as the waves,
to give, and give, and give,
until I glisten,
to let go
of convention and conviction,
to be moved,
by the wind.

Wednesday, December 25, 2013

Meditations: Part 6 (Walking meditations)

Prologue: Hey everyone this post is going to be a collection of 2 days worth of walking meditations.  I haven't been receiving too many messages during my sitting, at least not strong ones, so I decided to get straight down to the meat of what I was trying to say...well as best as I can get straight down to anything.

Walking Meditation 1: 10 Mins, distracted, major break through

While doing my walking meditation something came over me. It seemed like it was shaping up to be one of those days with too many thoughts and not much of a break through but then something happened. I can't remember exactly what it was, maybe I missed a step, but something lead me to the feeling of terror.  I then started to think about the issue of terror, what it truly means to be terrified and what that entails.  The conclusion I came up with is that terror is the fear of what you saw as unimaginable coming to life.  Something so foreign to your daily way of life that to see it blows your mind.  It threatens something in a deep part of you, something you thought you were and could never lose; a false foundation. It's almost like falling, you expect the next step to be there so badly, but it's not, "This can't be happening!" I thought about why terror might arise, why do we experience terror? why do we get so rattled to our bones? why are we terrified?  Well one reason is that we have a false sense of self; this sense of self is very small and very comfortable to us.  We have a relationship with this self and it tells us "who we are" and our place in this world. We reinforce this false self everyday, going to work, meeting with friends, curling up to watch a movie, bowling on Fridays, or whatever feeds a routine train of thought.  But then things happen; someone close to us dies, a tsunami happens, your spouse leaves you for your best friend, you lose your career, you lose a limb, you're kidnapped; just something you deem unimaginable happens to you.  This is when you realize how small your preconceived notion of reality was, this is when you begin to break out of your head and your little life of possibilities.  You begin to realize that life is infinite, and that your small way of life is a very rare phenomenon actually.  Can you imagine what it will be like when aliens get here?  Now that will be terrifying, not knowing your world.  Realizing that we can never know anything, it's all forever coming and going, changing, stable in it's instability.  All life is swimming in and out to shore. Do not even attempt to know ones self, just be in the moment. To the man/woman who is still, all things return to them.

Walking meditation 2: 10 mins, slight distraction, break through at the end

When I walk I've kind of gotten into this kind of routine, this path that I walk on when I go on walkabout.  My whole circuit takes about 15 mins in general but because I know it so well I can circumvent blocks to tailor it to my needs. On this circuit there's a hill about halfway through that I love to walk up; but this time as I began to ascend the hill I began to think of it as the "holy" mountain Arunachala, and the Yogi Sri Ramana Ashram and how he lovingly said of he hill that his feet had touched every inch of it.  I began to think of the sensuality of this statement, of lovemaking, and how one can practice love making with anything.  All it is is paying attention and being aware of what you are doing, being present to an experience.  Is walking up a hill really any different than making love to a woman, if you really think about it. Isn't it just being aware of touch and the way things feel and then making the proper adjustments. I believe the problem is that we've identified so much with the thinking mind that we've lost touch with the things that are right in front of us, the small actions, making them a means to an end, the goal instead of the process.  We fuck to cum instead of concentrating on the fucking, we speak to get a point across instead of just enjoying the vibrations of sound, we've become a type A world, and will continue to do so I think.  Did you know some monks use a form of meditation by which they take one hour to drink a cup of tea? That's right, one, hour. The point of this exercise is to try and be present for every moment of the experience; no rushing, just experiencing every sip of tea from the putting to one's lips to the putting down on the table, and repeat.  I believe we should practice this during our love making, not just with our partners but to the world, truly feel what it's like to touch and be touched.

I applied this sort of sensuality to the hill, as I was walking up it to begin the walk back, it was beautiful. You never really know how your body feels and what it's like unless you stop and pay attention once in a while to notice the "smallest" things.  We are so overstimulated that we forget our bodies on a day to day basis.  There's so much information being exchanged and so many systems at work just to simply walk up a hill, but we forget that.  We forget our birthright for a pay check or some other cheap gratification.  I am not preaching here I am just making a profound observation that all of life is right under our nose, or in this case, our feet.



-Rey

~Namaste~



No comments:

Post a Comment